–With the very sunny days here on the Central Coast, choosing to install solar panels makes the most sense to save on electrical costs and to “go green.” However, not all San Luis Obispo residences are ideal candidates for solar panels. Every residence is different in its placement and exposure to direct sunlight.
The only way to know for sure if solar panels are right for your home is to have one of San Luis Obispo solar panel installation experts at Electricraft’s come to conduct an in-home consultation.
Here are several considerations you should review to see if your home is a good candidate for San Luis Obispo solar panels.
• Your roof layout – Ideal roofs have between 300-400 square feet of clear area. For best results this clear roof area should be facing the South, Southeast, or Southwest. Roofs that don’t face South may still be good candidates depending on the exact shading and roof angle.
• The amount of shading – For solar panels to be the most effective, they must be installed on the side of the roof that has no shading for at least six hours, between 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. every day, all year round. The common reason for shading is tree foliage. For some candidates, it may be cost effective to remove a tree to prevent shading. If a tree has to be removed, you want to check with your city ordinance regulations to determine if a tree removal permit is needed.
• The type of home – If your roof is shared, as is the case in a condominium complex or with an attached home, then you may have to get consent from your neighbors before being able to install solar panels. This also applies to homes that have to abide by homeowner association (HOA) rules. In some cases, based on home appearance guidelines, your HOA may not approve the installation of solar panels. You want to always check first before agreeing and putting down a down payment on solar panels.
• Your current electric bill – Are you already paying less than $100 a month for electricity? If so, then the investment in solar panels may not get you much more cost savings. If you are instead going solar for the environmental benefits then the San Luis Obispo solar panel professionals here at Electricraft are ready to get you started!
• The condition of your roof – If it is time to replace your roof, then that takes priority. For the safety of our solar panel technicians and for the health of your solar panels, we require a well-maintained roof. We will inspect your roof to see if its current condition will allow for solar panel installation. In some cases, our recommendation may be to replace your roof first, and then proceed with installation of the best-in-class solar panels San Luis Obispo has to offer.
These are some initial areas that can determine your home or business’ eligibility for solar panels. If you’re ever in doubt about any of these areas our San Luis Obispo expert solar panel technicians will be happy to inspect your residence and roof and let you know if solar panels are a viable option. If you choose Electricraft Inc. as your solar panel provider you will receive high quality customer service, state-of-the-art solar panels, and a 10-year warranty on all workmanship.
Call today at (805) 544-8224!