Solar systems are pretty low maintenance and don’t require much upkeep, but like anything else, problems may occasionally pop up. One of the first signs that something might not be working as it should is degraded performance. The key is to take action as soon as you notice a problem.
Electricraft, Inc., the San Luis Obispo solar power company, has prepared a list of the most common problems and solutions. To avoid serious problems, it’s important to work with a qualified solar company from the design phase all the way to the end. The characteristics of a well-qualified company include:
- Trained, certified and licensed electricians and technicians
- A company policy of working with the customer and standing behind their work
- A wide range of solar installation and electrical project experience including residential, commercial and public works projects
- A solid understanding of solar systems and electrical systems and the ability to clearly explain the process and to thoroughly inspect, troubleshoot and test a system so that it’s fully operational
Once the system is up and working, some of the things to watch for include:
- Dust, dirt, bird droppings, bird nests and other materials on the surface: Solar panels depend on the sun to generate energy and anything that interferes with receiving the sun’s rays is going to cause problems. Dust and dirt can accumulate over time, even when the rain washes away some of the grime. Birds are, well…birds, and droppings can accumulate. The wind can blow other materials like leaves onto the panels. Dirty panels can result in as much as 3% loss of power. It’s a good idea to inspect and clean your panels once or twice a year, depending on your climate. When the San Luis Obispo solar power technicians from Electricraft, Inc. install your solar system, they advise you about the best way to clean and maintain the panels.
- Cracks: Tiny cracks can develop over time due to significant weather changes but the most common causes of cracks are during production and faulty handling during shipping. Cracks can also let moisture into the panel and cause corrosion. It is important to work with an experienced solar company with a trustworthy, professional, licensed and certified technical team to make sure the panels are carefully inspected before they are installed, then installed correctly.
- Faulty wiring, loose connections, corrosion and oxidation can interfere with solar panel performance. Hiring one company to design and install the solar system from beginning to end is the best way to avoid wiring problems. Electricraft, Inc., the San Luis Obispo solar power company, stands behind its work.
- Other problems include hot spots that can occur if the panels get too warm. Keeping the panels clean is one way to avoid hot spots. Poorly soldered connections are another contributor to hot spots. Another reason to make sure you work with the highest quality solar company.
- An aged inverter: The inverter converts direct current from the sun into the current used in the home. It’s not unusual for an inverter to need replacing between 10 to 15 years, even though the rest of the solar system has years more life.
Electricraft, Inc. has been serving Central Coast communities since 1984. A local, family-owned company, the entire team is dedicated to providing top-quality service, including
- Free estimates
- The best solar panels appropriate for your solar system
- A solid warranty on solar panels and solar system components
- Assistance with loans and financing programs
- The latest-technology and highest quality workmanship and service