-In the evolving landscape of sustainability, home solar systems and families migrating to vehicles (EVs) is a sure sign that green living has arrived. There are options for charging an EV at home using solar energy and the San Luis Obispo solar installers from Electricraft, Inc. recently released a report that explores those options.
- For homeowners who already have a solar system installed, connecting an EV charger is just a matter of consulting with an electrician who also has solar experience. The electrician will inspect the existing solar system to make sure it can support an EV charger and recommend any necessary upgrades.
- For homeowners who want to install solar, home EV charging needs to be calculated into the design. Even if the family does not own an EV, making sure the solar system generates enough power for EV charging is a wise choice. There’s a good chance that a pre-installed EV home charger will also increase the property value.
An EV charger runs on electricity and as such, will also run on the electricity generated by a solar system. So, this changes the question from ‘Can I charge my EV with solar?’ to ‘How do I get the best EV charging performance with my solar system?’
- Make sure the home solar system generates enough power for the EV charger.
- Choose an EV charger that is going to charge efficiently. New EVs come equipped with a Level 1 charger that plugs into a 120v outlet. However, these charges are low-powered and can take a very long time to charge. Consider upgrading to a Level 2 charger. A full-service electrical company like Electricraft which provides electrical services, EV installation, and solar installation for San Luis Obispo County, is a good choice for getting solid information and service.
- Most EV owners charge their vehicles overnight at home. If there are questions about the cost of charging if the home’s electricity switches to the grid after dark, ask about backup battery options.
- There is also the option to install a stand-alone off-grid EV charging station. This might be a consideration to reduce the cost of using the grid to charge the car, or when a homeowner just isn’t quite ready to install a complete solar system.
Consulting with the professionals is the best way to reach an informed decision. They can assess the total electricity needs for the entire home, including the garage, sheds, workshops, and EV charging, and make solid recommendations.
Electricraft Inc. is a local family-owned business that has been serving California’s Central Coast since 1984. The professional team includes electricians and solar technicians who are experienced, licensed, and certified in all electrical services, installing home and commercial EV chargers, and solar installation for San Luis Obispo County residents and businesses.
The phases of an installation process require skill and certifications in a number of areas including electrical engineering, electrical wiring, and the best electricians and experienced solar installation team. This where the experts from Electricraft bring the highest value to solar installation in San Luis Obispo County.
The phases of a solar installation project include:
- Site visits to determine the best placement for the solar panels and evaluate electrical systems
- Creating design plans, selecting the best panels for the job, and obtaining permits
- Installation and inspections
- Operating the new system
The Electricraft team is experienced, highly skilled, and certified for all phases of solar installation projects.
200 Suburban Rd., Suite A
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401